In the Bleat this week;
• From the Race Committee
• Track Racing – Practice Session
• Racing this Week
From the Race Committee
With the resumption of racing this weekend;
- ALL Road and Crit races will require entry via RMS. No ‘on the day‘ entries will be accepted. If a member enters and cannot race, they can notify the race committee prior to the event and have their entry moved to a later race. No refunds.
- This Sunday’s Time Trial at Uriarra is free entry.
- We require a replacement race director for the Club Champs at Uriarra on 21 Nov.
Track Racing – Practice Session – Wed 27th October – 6:00pm
Unfortunately, the club does not have approval to commence track racing, at present. We have a second track Practice Session scheduled for 6.00pm on Wednesday 27 October. Rider numbers are limited by Covid restrictions. However, last week’s practice session had 15 riders, so we have room for more riders. The weather was not the best last week. This week looks warmer.
Only 25 persons are permitted at the track, for the practice session. In addition, riders must wear a face mask at all times except for riding and recovering your breath after exertion on the track.
Due to the limited numbers, interested riders will need to advise their intended attendance, by email to, email@example.com
You will be advised, by return email, if you are accepted for the event. Please note:
- Event acceptance will be on a first-in, first-served basis;
- You should book before 5pm on 19 October, at the latest;
- Please do not attend unless your booking is confirmed (otherwise you will push numbers above the mandated limit);
- Please do attend if you have a confirmed booking (otherwise you will deny someone else the opportunity).
Spare Track Bikes
We have access to spare track bikes if you are a novice and wish to try track racing. Please advise, when booking, if you need a bike. Note that you will need to bring your own pedals. You may need to pump up tyres (we will have a pump available) and adjust saddle / bar position. You will need to check over the bike for safety purposes. Although we will assist as far as practical, equipment safety and providing tools for fitting / adjustments is your responsibility.
Narrabundah Track is a high-banked, oval track suitable only for conventional, fixed-gear track bikes with a high bottom bracket. We are unable to accommodate road bikes on this track.
- Narrabundah track is located off Goyder Street in Narrabundah;
- We welcome riders to try a high-banked track for the first time;
- New riders can get practical advice on gearing, bunch riding & track etiquette;
- Experienced riders can tune up the machinery & motor;
- All riders can express their preference for events & races;
- The practice session will be around 1hr 30 mins starting at 6.00pm;
- There is no formal structure to the practice. We can assist with introductory training, if requested;
- You can do your own thing, if you prefer.
A few basics on track etiquette for the practice session:
- Use the designated track positions for cruising, tempo or fast pacing; (The faster you ride, the higher you should be positioned on track. Overtake outside other riders);
- Hold your line – don’t make changes of speed or position unless you are clear of other riders;
- Be very careful if you are crossing or moving on / off the track (It is your responsibility not to impede other riders in this situation);
- Start from the fence and be aware of riders approaching;
- It is best to wear clear or light tinted goggles (shaded portions of the track have low visibility with regular sunnies);
- All riders will need to be cautious, as there will be novice riders at the practice session.
RACING THIS WEEK:
Sunday, 31st October – Uriarra Homestead – Graded Time Trial
Reminder: All riders must pre-register on the ACT Vets website (https://rms.actvets.cc/calendar) by 30/10/2021 6:00 PM prior to the race. There is no registration on the day.
Any requests for Grade changes should be sorted out with the Handicapper prior to registration.
Where: Assemble at Uriarra Rd / Brindabella Rd, T-Junction. From North Canberra slightly faster Coppins crossing & right onto Uriarra Road. From Sth Canberra follow Cotter Road down to bridge crossing, turn right onto Brindabella Road.
When: 9:00 am.
Two laps of Uriarra Homestead – top of Crossing – Short turn – Homestead. Plus Homestead – top of Uriarra Crossing – Homestead.
2 minute time discount for standard road configurations. To qualify for the bonus you must have no aero kit, i.e. no disc wheel or wheels > 25cm rim depth; aero helmet; one-piece suit, over boots, TT specific aero frame, or aero bars. Qualifying is at the discretion of the race director.
Race Director: Robert Langridge Contact: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph 0450 400 658.
Marshals: Andrew Matz ETC, Seymour Savell-Boss ETC, Edward Joliffe ETC, Adam Strickland, Van driver – Seymour Savell-Boss
Unsubscribe from the ACT Veteran Cycling Club mailing list.